The South African Responsible Gambling Foundation offers the following free prevention programmes to gambling industry Operators and regulators
Prevention Programmes – Level 1 Course
To equip new employees with responsible gambling knowledge that is, how to interact and identify a problem gambler and once identified what steps employees should take.
- The role of the national responsible gambling programme (NRGP) in the gambling industry
- National gambling statistics and responsible gambling legislation.
- The difference between social gambling, problem and disordered gambling.
- The DSM- V characteristics of problem and disordered gambling as well as other warning signs of problem and disordered gambling.
- The prevalence of problem and gambling addiction in South Africa.
- Treatment of addiction
- delivery structure
- Counselling line
- Strategies to deal with abusive customers.
Course duration: 3 hours
Target Audience: New Industry Employees
Prevention Programmes – Level 2 Course
To equip employees and supervisors with the know how of handling problem gamblers and the knowledge about the risk factors of working in a gambling environment.
- Gambling profiles of treatment seekers and their cross addictions.
- Legal versus illegal gambling in South Africa, i.e. informal and online gambling.
- Factors promoting gambling.
- Consequences of a gambling disorder.
- What makes gambling potentially addictive.
- Gambling types and phases of gambling.
- Progression and intervention.
- Unacceptable behaviour-what is it and what does it do to you?
- Enabling and rescuing behaviour.
- Dysfunctional behaviour.
- Why are people who work in the gambling industry likely to develop a gambling disorder?
- Protective and risk factors.
Duration: 3 hours
Target Audience: Supervisors and Management
Prevention Programmes – Level 3 – Advanced Course
To teach management of alternative ways to communicate with staff and problematic gamblers in changing their behaviour to that which will be beneficial to all.
Motivational Interviewing is a communication style involving certain skills, used in the treatment of addictive behaviours. It aims to facilitate and strengthen motivation for changing behaviour.
This course is an introduction to the basic principles and tools of Motivational Interviewing. These tools can be used in dealing with problem gamblers, their family members, as well as dealing more effectively with people in the workplace and in personal relationships.
The course consists of theory, video material and exercises, which provide an opportunity to practise the new skills with colleagues and individually. The day is intensive and participatory.
The course is primarily aimed at managers, supervisors and really any employees in the gambling industry as well as at gambling boards, who engage with punters and their families, in particular when they request self-exclusions or when they experience emotional crises as a result of their gambling habits.
Duration: 1 day
Target Audience: Supervisors and Managers
To assist operators and their employees as and when in an emergency situation. Crisis Management is also meant to assist individual operator employees that need to have a confidential conversation with a trusted person
- 24/7 Crisis line : 071 515 0429 for all casino employees
- Assistance during / after a traumatic incident at a casino
- Referrals post assessment for professional treatment also done
Target Audience: All
To bring awareness to the Regulators of the services offered by the SARGF to the operators according to legislation and the regulations.
- For employees dealing with gamblers and family members
- Similar to Basic Course
- More focus on implementation of legislation and regulations
Duration: 3 hours
Target Audience: Regulator Staff
FOR BOOKINGS OF ALL TRAINING PLEASE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org